We made it through winter, or this is what I’ll say, when I tell myself that the bitter cold is just a few more days.
We made it through winter, the snow at our doors, the frost at our feet, and the cold under paws.
We made it through winter, we got out of bed, we went out into the cold fresh days and then back to rest our heads.
We wrapped up warm and drank hot drinks that melted the frost and helped us think, we scraped our cars and drove real far, because winter really had a place in our hearts.
We stayed up late because it was dark to soon and saw, in the clear fresh air, the stars and the moon.
We made it through winter, or this is what I’ll say, when spring dawns, and I’m ready to thaw, from these cosy nights and days.
Celebrating a new found love of the crisp beauty of winter, although I’ll always be loyal to summer.
I’ve learnt a few things about myself, even if I can’t say much else for certain and what better way to start a new chapter than by introducing your character as she begins.
So here’s me, a twenty-year old student living in the smallest part of Wales having made some pretty big decisions to get there:
- I have a severe crush on art, photography and visual beauty. Black and white photography inspires something in my mind I can’t quite explain, maybe it’s the love of contrast and the areas of grey which say so much or maybe it’s just how provocative a lack of colour, something laid bare can be.
- My love for trains is still as undying as it was when as an 8 year-old child. I don’t care too much to learn about their composition but I was sat in a train station yesterday waiting to head home when I notices some steam trains. queue excitable Facebook status and smile.
- I have learnt that contrary to my own fear growing up doesn’t mean losing heart for all, it just means learning to put that heart so strongly into things that we are a little more tired, that a smile may not always be visible but it can always be there and that some deep part of ourselves can appreciate more of the complexity and chaos in the forever that lies before us with the hazy days that have been.
- I study philosophy but I have a long way to go. Everyday I can learn a new theory with such a minute difference to the last one but with such big consequences it literally blows my mind! I don’t think we can every know everything but that’s a beautiful thing because it means if we choose a good selection no-one can ever say we’re not infinitely unique…and despite ideas of determinism that means we chose ourselves for ourselves!
- Family are so important to me. It doesn’t matter who I don’t get on with that well, who’s cooking I don’t like or who winds me up until I want to explode, the ones who are there for me when I need them are the ones I will always keep in my heart. Friends change so do the places you live, boyfriends, girlfriends and everything in between and it’s true that you do get a say in your family but those who are and always have been there for you will support you and eventually matter more than anything else. I don’t always show it but that’s not what counts most anyway.
- Sparkling in many senses is something I aim to do always. A sparkle in my eye, glittery lip gloss, even the accentuation of polka dot laces in my red Doc Martens. It’s important to me to always feel like I’m shining. It might so silly or vain but if I can brighten my day a little I might help someone else do the same.
- I love to read, but in considerations of time I actually just watch a lot of movies and listen to a lot of music. I have over 90 playlists on Spotify, a brand new shiny Netflix account which so far has been used for Reign and the Gilmore Girls and Youtube regularly suggests I listen to Coldplay-The Scientist on repeat when I’m sad. My Browsers know me well, my books are a more neglected topic.
- And finally, because I’m sure you have enough to go on, all I really want to do in the world is write, since I was old enough to hold a crayon and write on whatever surface was available (including the furniture) I’ve know what I want to do.
So there’s what I know that I wanted to share a little of with you before I begin the story. I’m a 20-something still learning and despite the expectations of me increasing by the day I’m making the most of now. The beautiful moments in which I walk.